Cost-saving satellite IoT solutions for the oil and gas sector
The oil and gas industry is considered the largest industry in term of dollar value.
The upstream (exploitation and production of oil and gas) is the heaviest duty since it takes away high investment capital, high risks, and long duration as it takes time to locate, to drill, to extract and to produce the crude oil from the beneath.
The midstream (transportation) involves shipping, trucking, pipelines and storing to deliver the materials from the oil rig to the refineries.
The downstream (refinery) ensures all of the impurities are removed and convert the oil and gas to mainstream products: gasoline, or heating oil for example.
The amount of data the oil and gas industry needs to collect daily is gigantic. As this sector is very capital intensive, the reduction in non-productive time (NPT) is crucial. The need for real-time data is critical, as it has been proven to increase the efficiency by 6% to 8% with proper data utilisation.
Many of the oil and gas assets are located in environmental conditions where the communication network is limitedly available. Using satellite communication, all of the sensors attached to the oil and gas assets transfer the critical information to a central hub, which is connected to the satellite. However, this solution for collecting data is expensive because of the high satellite connectivity cost.
However, satellite IoT is believed to revolutionise and reshape this sector thanks to its lower connectivity cost, thus increasing the profitability for the companies involved.
Our LoRa Base Station is a low cost, easy to use connectivity solution that integrates a LoRaWAN™ gateway and a satellite modem with an antenna. Covering a wide area (40km radius), it allows deployment of up to ten thousand LoRaWAN™-based sensors (depending on the frequency with which the objects send their data) which can monitor oil and gas assets in any of the three streams: extraction, transportation and refinery.
1. Cost-effective – thanks to the lower cost of satellite IoT connectivity and of the device itself
2. Global coverage – satellite connectivity is available almost anywhere on the globe
3. Convenient end-to-end solution – our teams create and implement A to Z solutions even in cases where clients lack know-how and / or capabilities
4. Secure private LoRa network – ensuring your data is protected and kept confidential
5. Reliable connectivity – thanks to our selected satellite communication partner
6. Easy to use – once the solution implemented, the data can be easily visualised via your web or mobile application and / or alerting system
7. Effective coverage, adapted to your use – one LoRaWAN™ gateway covers an area of 40km radius, with the possibility of connecting up to 10,000 sensors (depending on the frequency of sending the messages)